Monday, March 16, 2015

Race day, the United Airlines NYC 1/2 Marathon- Sunday March 15th, 2015

Race day.
Saturday night after our incredible meal, we strolled for a bit, then grabbed a cab and headed back to the market near the hotel to stock up on bottled water. We headed back to the room, brewed our mushroom tea and were asleep by 9:30. The sleep was pretty good surprisingly, we had some waking moments of nervousness that started around 3:00am but all in all we were very well-rested.
5:30am and we were up.
The entrance to central park could only be accessed from army plaza or 6th avenue because they close the roads. Our hotel was prime location as it was only a 5 minute walk and we lined up with the rest of the 20,000 runners. I wasn't allowed into the park so I headed back to the hotel to start packing while Mike waited for his start time.
8:25am was his official start. I waited for him at the 10K (6 mile marker) which was feet from our hotel. I got to steal a quick kiss and then I hit the subway down to Wall street. I got off a few stops early due to a crazy guy on the train so I had a bit of running myself to the finish line to be able to see him cross. In just the nick of time I made it. How awesome. The energy of the crowds, the joy & deep breaths of all the runners as they passed through. Wow. Some incredible energy.

I was only surprised by one thing. I didn't think the media emphasized enough how many runners were running for charity...the race alone raised over 2.2 million dollars to a variety of different charities. To me, that was more important than the olympian runners and who would take 1st place on the men & woman's teams. But eh, that's the media for you.

Here are some pics from the day. Afterwards we celebrated with some burgers before we headed home to pick up the little girl.

 Shortly after 7:00am

7:30am (He starts @ 8:25am)

10:33am he finishes! (2 hours & 7 minutes later)

11:00am heading back towards 57th with a coffee

A bloody mary & a burger with a fried egg on top! Well-deserved! I went with bacon & guacamole. We've been on such a health kick for months. This tasted so good!



Home to Daddy's little girl.




No comments:

Post a Comment